remote command word splitting

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 2 14:31:59 EST 2004

Frederik Eaton wrote:
> Hmm. So, while I'm no longer as enthusiastic as I was about this idea,
> I still wonder if it wouldn't be cleaner if there were a way to get
> ssh to preserve the separation between remote command arguments
> itself, rather than asking the user to do protective quoting. How
> about an option to ask ssh to use 'execvp' rather than a shell? Then I
> could do

The SSH protocol sends the command as a single string, so you'd still
have to dequote somehow to create the argv list to pass to execvp().

You'd also have to set up the user's environment (PATH and whatnot),
which probably involves parsing various startup files.  Hey, that sounds
a lot like what a shell does...

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.