getpwuid vs. getpwnam

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Dec 4 04:50:35 EST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:53:11AM -0500, John Cecere wrote:
> An example of this would be Hylafax. It installs a fax user with the
> same uid as uucp, but with a separate home directory.

That's a setup error.  The whole point of a fax user is "have something
with different *privileges* from other users on the system".

On the original topic, I wonder why ssh isn't just using $HOME?  The
whole getpwnam()/getpwuid() approach sounds overly complicated to me
(and I can't see any security issue if all file accesses are done
with proper user permissions, which I assume to be the case).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de