getpwuid vs. getpwnam

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Dec 4 10:21:12 EST 2004

Gert Doering wrote:
> On the original topic, I wonder why ssh isn't just using $HOME?  The
> whole getpwnam()/getpwuid() approach sounds overly complicated to me
> (and I can't see any security issue if all file accesses are done
> with proper user permissions, which I assume to be the case).

The expansion is done in tilde_expand_filename(), which is also used by
sshd.  $HOME may not be set when sshd use it (and sshd probably
shouldn't trust an environment variable for that anyway).

Personally, I can't see any security implications in using $HOME in the
client only as long as it's checked *very* carefully (some
configurations still require ssh to be setuid root).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.