recursive operations in sftp

Andrew Mortensen admorten at umich.edu
Tue Dec 7 13:22:08 EST 2004

Is there anyone actively working on adding recursive operations to
sftp? I've got a recent snapshot of the source (Dec 6th), and I see
extended options for ls and the inclusion of history, both of which are
welcome, but there doesn't seem to be any hint of recursive operation
support.

If there are people working quietly on recursive op patches, I'd like
to hear from you. I've been putting some things together for a patch,
and it would be best if we can avoid duplication of effort. I'd also
like to hear from the maintainers regarding what they would deem
acceptable as a patch that adds recursive operations. In past
discussions, fts has been recommended. I've written put -r code using
fts. It's straightforward, as suggested by Ben Lidstrom in the comments
for bug 520, but as far as I know, no work has been done on making fts
capable of dealing with remote operations.

Are recursive operations based on a modified form of fts the only sort
of patch acceptable? I've got a patch for recursive rm, too, but it
uses recursion to accomplish its task. (There may be some concern about
the safety of rm -r, as well.) The logic in the rm -r patch could
easily be applied to other cases, like chown/chmod -R, if those are
interesting to people.

If modified fts is required, I'm interested in at least hearing what
those modifications would need to be.

Regards,
andrew