What is print_pam_messages() used for ?

Ralf Hack ralf.hack at pipex.net
Fri Jan 16 21:14:25 EST 2004

>Ralf Hack wrote:
>[snapshots]
>>I will try it. However, the messages are created in
>>do_pam_account()->pam_acct_mgmt(). Unlike other parts, this one
>>does not have a conversation function installed. Therefore, I doubt
>>that you will receive these messages in the first place.
>
>For sshv2, do_pam_account is called by sshpam_thread which has
>already set the conversation function to sshpam_thread_conv, so the
>messages should go to the keyboard-interactive device.  Currently,
>however, the messages returned with the failure will not, since the
>kbdint conversation ends as soon as the authentication fails.  I'm
>not sure what to do about that.

The user is allowed to change his/her own password. Naturally, that
implies the authentication has gone through successfully.

I am considering to patch the code using the same conversation
function  in do_pam_account that is used in do_pam_session
(tty_conv). In your considered opinion, will that work ?

Ralf.