"PAM rejected by account configuration" and "fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24" problem at secong sshd instance

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 20 16:20:12 EST 2004

Istvan Viczian wrote:
> I setup two sshd instance (using OpenSSH_3.5p1 bins on redhat7.2  kernel
> 2.4.20-19.7smp ) in order to achieve differnet sshd settings (e.g use
> different auth.method) on two different network interfaces (both on port
> 22).
[snip]
> ( the second instance started with : sshd -f /etc/ssh2/sshd_config
> without any problem)
>
> When I started the two daemon, the first instance
> ( which uses the default /etc/ssh conf. dir.)
> always worked properly (login from host 10.0.0.11 as user2)
> independently form the used auth. method
> , but the second daemon always failed after the successfull
> authentication with
>
>   "PAM rejected by account configuration[]: User account has expired"
>   and
>   "fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24"
>
> error messages (see detailed logs below ).

PAM thinks the account has expired.  Check it with "chage -l
accountname" and if it is, unexpire it ("chage -E" I think, check the
man page).

> I also tried to run only the second instance, and the same problem
> appeared! So it seems for me that the problem is reduced to using non
> default sshd config file!

I suspect that your first sshd was compiled without PAM support and the
second was compiled with it.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.