Runnin SSH on slow CPU (386 40Mhz 8Mb RAM)

Raphael Hertzog rhertzog at hrnet.fr
Wed Jul 14 02:40:58 EST 2004

Hello everybody,

I'd like to use OpenSSH (client & server, for shell & sftp) on
an embedded PC with limited resources (processor 386 SX 40Mhz
8Mb RAM). I have Linux running on it.

In the past, I tried to use OpenSSH on it just to see if it could
work but each connection required an incredible long time to start. I
suppose that the key generation is too expensive for that processor.

Is there something I can try to make it work better ? Can we change
the key length or use another encryption algorythm which is less
CPU-expensive ? Which one of the available cipher is the less CPU
expensive ?

Can I change ServerKeyBits in sshd_config without breaking
interoperability ?

Any inputs point me somewhere where I can look further is welcomed. Feel
free to point me to the right documentation if such one exists, but my
search have been unsuccessfull until now (including the search on the
list archive).

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
--