sharing a private key with other local users of the same group

Bechler Richard richard.bechler at siemens.com
Fri Jun 4 19:24:00 EST 2004

Hello,

we're using the portable OpenSSH (3.8.1p1) with Linux, HP-UX and
Solaris.
After starting the ssh-agent and adding a private key, I changed the
permissions of the socket to 0770, so other users of the same group have
access to it. With HP-UX and Solaris this works fine, although with
Linux and older OpenSSH versions (3.4p1/SuSE8.1,3.1p1/RedHat7.2).
With 3.8.1p1 and Linux (SLES8-SuSE8.1) I got the following error
message:
Error reading response length from authentication socket.
Attachement: strace output

greetings,
Richard Bechler
(richard.bechler at siemens.com)