LDAP issues with 3.8.1p1

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Sat Jun 12 04:44:31 EST 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 11:03 AM, Steve Belt (rgpg70) wrote:

> I have recently compiled and installed release 3.8.1p1.  This was done
> on a Solaris 8 system using LDAP as its naming service.  The new
> release, however, will not let me log in (as a regular user).  I
> repeatedly get "Permission denied, please try again" messages.  The
> root user, though, can log in okay.  The same thing happened with the
> 3.7.1p2 release.  The 3.6.1p1 release (which is currently running on
> the machine) works okay, however.  All were compiled in the same
> manner (--prefix=/opt/openssh as the only arg).
>
> So, it seems something changed between the 3.6.1p1 release and the
> 3.7.1p2 release with regards to LDAP that affects user authentication.
> I was in hopes this would be "corrected" with the 3.8.1p1 release, but
> it seems it has not.  Both the 3.7.1p2 and 3.8.1p1 releases, however,
> work fine on machines using NIS as the naming service.  It would
> appear, then, that openssh is having trouble with the LDAP name
> service and user authentication.  The root user is allowed access
> probably due to the fact that its account info is local to the machine
> (/etc/passwd), and is not obtained through the name service.
>
> Any help/info on running the current release of openssh with LDAP
> would be greatly appreciated.

You have to enable UsePAM.  I'm assuming you're using pam_ldap and
nss_ldap for your authentication.  This has been discussed previously
on the list.

Setting UsePAM yes should do the trick for you.

--
OpenSLS - Secure Linux Server: http://opensls.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"