Fwd: Re: Question on undefined reference to 'crypt'

Amba giri agiri at sj.symbol.com
Thu Jun 17 10:20:03 EST 2004

Hello

Thanks for your response.  The platform is lynxos.  However when I add --with-ldflags=-lcrypt

I get the following error:

WS5000# ./configure --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local --with-ldflags=-lcrypt
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking build system type... i386-unknown-lynxos
checking host system type... i386-unknown-lynxos
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for ar... /bin/ar
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for ent... no
checking for bash... /bin/bash
checking for ksh... (cached) /bin/bash
checking for sh... (cached) /bin/bash
checking for sh... /bin/sh
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
checking for login... /bin/login
checking for passwd... /bin/passwd
checking for inline... inline
checking compiler and flags for sanity... no
configure: error: *** compiler cannot create working executables, check config.log ***

I have attached the config.log file.  Basically the 'crypt' library is not being found. I did not have this problem until I rebuilt Openssl-0.9.7d.

Amba

Amba giri wrote:
> I have openssl-0.9.7d installed and when I attempt a make install on SSH(v3.8p1), I get the following error:
> .../openbsd-compat/xcrypt.c(76): undefined reference to 'crypt'
>
> Can anyone help me get past this problem ?

Depends on what platform you're using, most likely you just need to add
"--with-ldflags=-lcrypt" to you configure line.

If that fixes it, tell us what your platform is and what ./config.guess
reports and we can make configure do it automatically.

You might like to use 3.8.1p1 rather than 3.8p1, it's newer and
(probably :-) has a few less bugs.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.