is sshpam_thread() dead code?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Jun 28 20:32:40 EST 2004

Bastian Kleineidam wrote:
> I wondered what part sshpam_thread() (in auth-pam.c) is playing wrt. PAM
> authentication.
> It seems to be never called from any other ssh code (judging from CVS
> as of 27.6.2004).

Look for "pthread_create".

> I noticed this because the current openssh package in Debian unstable
> (3.8.1p1) is not calling the pam_authenticate() function at all,
> regardless of my configuration settings.

Try "PasswordAuthentication no", "ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes"
and "UsePam yes".

> In CVS this seems to be fixed with the recently added function
> sshpam_auth_passwd() in auth-pam.c.

3.7x and 3.8x do not support PasswordAuthentication via PAM, that was
(re)added after 3.8.1p1.

> But what about sshpam_thread(), is this function unneeded now or
> should it be called from somewhere?

It's used for the challengeresponse/keyboard-interactive authentication.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.