GSSAPI support in 3.8 ?

Kumaresh kumaresh_ind at gmx.net
Tue Mar 2 00:05:28 EST 2004

Hi All,

>From Changelog with 3.8:
"The experimental "gssapi" support has been replaced with the
"gssapi-with-mic" to fix possible MITM attacks.The two versions are not
compatible."

I am using OpenSSH-3.6 with Simon's patch and OpenSSH-3.7 built with GSSAPI
support. The latest version OpenSSH-3.8 is not working with 3.6 or 3.7 with
GSSAPI authentication. I have seen this in changelog, but my question is,
can anybody explain briefly justifying this change in 3.8 and about MITM
attacks?

Because, I am afraid that in a large network that uses GSSAPI for
authentication, the new OpenSSH has to be reinstalled on all the systems as
the latest version is not compatible with older ones.

Thanks,
Kumar.

---