environ problem in 3.8p1

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Mar 8 21:41:57 EST 2004

John P. Rouillard wrote:
> I would suggest not blanking "a couple of environment variables", but
> passing only a the environment variables you need and
> blanking/removing all the rest.

At the moment, only specific environment variables are copied from the
daemon's environment to the child's.  KRB5CCNAME is an odd case because
on AIX it might be set by the auth process itself, and the issue is if
it's set in root's environment but not overridden during the login process.

> It's just safer since you never know
> what variables could be used for an exploit later.

The environment variables in question are those inherited from root's
environment at daemon startup, users don't get to fiddle with them.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.