MAN pages: authorized_keys

JD Cole listguy at transientresearch.com
Wed Mar 10 18:53:19 EST 2004

Howdy,
    I would like to suggest a change in the ssh documentation for the
use of authorized_keys. The man page states:

This file is not highly sensitive, but the recommended permissions are
read/write for the user, and not accessible by others.

I'm may be knit picking, but it could be read that, while not
recommended, it is possible to allow access to the authorized_keys file
to other users. It seems that this is not the case as an athorized_keys
file with group write permissions cause ssh to fall back on manual login.

How about:

This file is not highly sensitive, but ssh requires that the file is
only writable by the user.

Please correct me if I am mistaken,

JD