a quick help

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Mar 11 06:47:02 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Peter Stuge wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 01:49:05PM -0500, Lixiao Wang wrote:
> > I'm currently taking a graduate level course, software architecture,
> > offered by Dr. Ric Holt.  Our group is interested in OpenSSH and we
> > are studying the evolution of OpenSSH. I'm wondering if it is possible
> > that you can provide us with some architectural information of OpenSSH,
> > such as the design architecture, how many high-level components in the
> > system and what are they, etc.
>
> Yes, it's possible, but it's not very likely. Use the source.

I would say look in the *.tar.gz file for:

OVERVIEW
RFC.nroff

Along with the RFC on the secsh (which I don't have a link of off hand).

and the following for the privilege seperation aspects:

http://niels.xtdnet.nl/ssh/privsep.html
http://niels.xtdnet.nl/papers/privsep.pdf

Would love to get my hands on Unisys' old "Re-engineering" program that
drew pretty diagrams and translated the code base into a nice meta
language, but I doubt anyone would give me it since it is.. oh.. A few
million dollar program.  Not saying it would be useful, but would be fun
to see.

 - Ben