environ problem in 3.8p1

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Mar 11 13:19:43 EST 2004

Petr Ostadal wrote:

> Is any safe way how to forward LANG and LC_* environ variables from client
> to remote? I have problem with utf8<->not utf8 terminals ;(.

No, the protocol does not include a way to transmit more than the
terminal type ($TERM).

Changing SSH protocol 1is out of the question, but perhaps another
version of "pty-req" that transfers environment variables could be
possible. I doubt that this would happen soon.

Doing this right would be tricky - the ability to set arbitrary
environment variables would have security implications (e.g. setting
LD_PRELOAD before a restricted shell is executed).

-d