environ problem in 3.8p1

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Mar 12 23:37:13 EST 2004

Roger Cornelius wrote:

> 3.8p1 added the following to main() in sshd.c:
>
> #ifndef HAVE_CYGWIN
>     /* Clear environment */
> 	environ[0] = NULL;
> #endif
>
> This breaks the getenv("TZ") in session.c and causes logins to occur in
> GMT time.  It also causes any sshd syslog messages to be written in GMT
> time.  I'm on SCO Openserver 5.0.7, but this looks like it should affect
> all platforms.  Am I missing something?  I haven't seen it reported
> before.

That was an attempt to fix issues with certain authentication types on
AIX, but it causes other problems, as you found.  The change has been
backed out, and an alternative fix for the AIX issues has been
implemented.  (Both will be in the next release, and are in the
snapshots now).

Thanks for the report.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)