3.8p1 password expiry, Solaris 8

Dmitry Berezin dberezin at acs.rutgers.edu
Sat Mar 20 03:05:46 EST 2004

I was able to replicate this problem, but only in the same window, that I
have had opened since yesterday. After logging out of Gnome desktop and
logging back in, I can no longer produce the same results. Most likely it
was some combination of "su"s in the same session, but again, I am unable to
replicate it anymore.
"passwd", when called without any arguments, will try to change password of
the originally logged in user, so in my case when sshd called passwd, it was
somehow referring back to the account that logged into the desktop.
Although, something like that would probably be a very rare case (and
probably while testing), would it be safer to call passwd <user name>
instead?

  -Dmitry.