Disabled accounts

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Mar 27 20:07:27 EST 2004

I have received a couple of queries from people who have had emails
suggesting that their mailing list subscription had been suspended. This
is not a problem with your account, here is what happened:

Yesterday someone's broken Outlook mailed a virus to the list. The list
has been set up to block executable attachments, but not (until now) zip
files, so the virus was forwarded.

Some people's mailservers have antivirus filtering enabled, so they
bounced the offending message from the list - triggering the list
manager software to disable their list membership.

I noticed the problem this morning (AEDST) and re-enabled every account
that I could find that had been disabled. I also blocked
application/octet-stream attachments, and am seriously considering
blocking all non-text attachment types.

So, apologies for any confusion. Hopefully the new filtering goop will
stop this stuff from happening again.

-d