Challenge Response authentication

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Mar 28 20:33:11 EST 2004

Kumaresh wrote:
> Is there a difference in 3.6 and 3.7 implemetaion of ChallengeResponse
> authentication?

Challenge-response hasn't changed much, but the PAM challenge-response
module was completely replaced between 3.6.1p2 and 3.7p1.

> Also, what is the impact of setting UsePAM yes and no with respect to this
> authentication method and expiry passwords.

For 3.8p1 and up, when a user's password is expired and UsePAM=yes,

if Protocol == 2 and keyboard-interactive auth
	force change via keyboard-interactive
else if PrivSep == no
	force change via pam_chauthtok() at start of sesstion
else
	force change via /usr/bin/passwd in session

With PAM enabled, password expiry is checked for *all* authentication
types (assuming PAM is configured to do so) since that test is done by
pam_acct_mgmt(), which needs to be checked for all auth types.

When UsePAM=no, password expiry is checked *only* for password
authentication, and password change is always done via /usr/bin/passwd.

Note that there is a bug when UsePAM=yes, the user's password is expired
and challenge-response is not used (see bugzilla #808).

(This is from memory, hopefully I got all the details right :-)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.