Config failure with 3.8p1 on AIX

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Mar 31 10:05:06 EST 2004

Steve Hall wrote:
> Hello,
> I have noted the following  failure in the configure script for 3.8p1.  The
> apparent error is
[...]
> configure:5941: error: *** zlib.h missing - please install first or check

You have a zlib.a in /usr/lib but don't have the corresponsing zlib.h in
/usr/include.

> The configure command (cc -E) is being invoked without  the option
> -I/usr/local/include.
>
> This is not a problem with my previous (and current) copy of 3.7.p2. (I
> reconfigured, and regenerated for SSL 9.7.d ).
>
> I can bypass the problem by setting CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include but
> wonder if I have
> missed some change to instructions since I have to do this with 3.8p1 but
> did not for 3.7p2.

Configure no longer automatically searches /usr/local/{lib,include} by
default.

If your zlib is in /usr/local (it sounds like it is) you can use
"./configure --with-zlib=/usr/local"

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.