Connection caching?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 3 08:48:07 EST 2004

Damien Miller wrote:
> As for the naming issue, using predictable names in a safe
> directory could resolve that problem. Something like
> "ControlSocket ~/.ssh/control-%h" (%h = hostname) would allow something
> like distcc to programatically detect whether a new connection is
> required.

I seem to recall that unix domain sockets are a portability
nightmare if you try to use long pathnames, but I guess
you guys are doing it already with names like that, so
maybe the systems where it was a problem are so obsolete
nobody cares anymore...

> If one really wants a single interface to multiple sessions, then one
> could implement a separate mux daemon that does the above.

Yes, and it could have whatever load balancing semantics one wants.

By the way, it'd be nice not only to be able to open a new
login session, but also to open up a connection to a port
on the remote machine.  (For instance, to a distccd running
remotely.)  Ideally the protocol to use over the unix domain socket
would be documented so apps could use it directly rather than
via the ssh wrapper if they felt the need.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com