Connection caching?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon May 3 10:31:00 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 07:45 +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> I don't much like the idea of a single ssh instance representing multiple
> client to server connections. It would add a fair bit of complexity to
> ssh for (IMO) little benefit.

Surely it shouldn't be much complexity? Doing it anywhere _but_ in
ssh(1) will just lead to it being duplicated repeatedly, surely?

Doing it in SSH, we can add an option which instructs the client to
leave a connection open and daemonize itself, and an option which
instructs the client to look for the unix domain socket created by such
a daemon.

> As for the naming issue, using predictable names in a safe
> directory could resolve that problem. Something like
> "ControlSocket ~/.ssh/control-%h" (%h = hostname) would allow something
> like distcc to programatically detect whether a new connection is
> required.

You also want to include the username, and possibly also the _local_ IP
address used for the connection in question. Or you have to deal with
dynamic IP addresses somehow -- perhaps by means of keepalive. Fsh
screws that up, and it's a PITA.

--
dwmw2