Error with USE_POSIX_THREADS and OpenSSH-3.8p1

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue May 4 21:50:09 EST 2004

Kumaresh wrote:
> I have already tried this and found that grantpt() failed. grantpt() returns
> "-1".

And from the debugging, we know that the errno is EBADF (Bad file
number).  From the grantpt man page (HP-UX 11.00):

   Failure may result under the following conditions:

    o  The file descriptor specified by the fildes parameter is not
       an open file descriptor.

    o  The file descriptor specified by the fildes parameter is not
       associated with a STREAMS master pty device.

    o  The corresponding slave pty device cannot be accessed.

Now #1 can't be true, otherwise openpty would have failed after the
open().   #2 should not be true either, since it was only just opened.
And if it was #3 I would have expected EACCES.

What's the perms on /dev/ptmx?

Maybe you could run ssh -D under tusc (which is an unsupported
truss/strace equivalent for HPUX) for clues abour what it's doing?

BTW, what HP-UX version are you using?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.