control of auth methods

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat May 8 15:28:50 EST 2004

Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> The current design of the config file is hardly a triumph of simplicity
> and logic. The auth types have internal names, yet the auth controls are
> this morass of booleans. It would make more sense to list the internal
> names, a la Ciphers.

The current config file design pre-dates OpenSSH. If you look at the
sample config file from ssh-1.2.12 you'll recognise the format (and many
of the current options).  Ciphers was added when Markus added SSH
protocol 2 support.

> Instead we have to figure out how various
> combinations of peculiarly named flags such as
> PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt

That's gone (except as a deprecated warning).

> PermitRootLogin,

This thread is discussing generalizing that.

> ChallengeResponseAuthentication, RhostsRSAAuthentication, UsePam,
> AllowUsers, DenyUsers, etc. interact to produce which set of valid auth
> types for whom. It ends up being trial-and-error to determine whether
> the right users can authenticate the way you want to allow, and /can't/
> authenticate the way you want to prevent, and that's not a good design
> for security.

You could read "trial-and-error" as "testing and validation" :-)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.