Openssh installation only works for user root

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon May 10 09:52:24 EST 2004

GOMA, Frank wrote:
> I have recently compiled a copy of OpenSSH for use on Reliant Unix ( Sinix )
> version 5.45. My installation works okay for user root. When I try to log on
> as another user I get prompted for the user password. When I type this in
> OpenSSH throws me out each time. I have been able to see any errors.
>
> My version is OpenSSH_3.8p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar
> 2004. I am using Putty Release 0.52.

That sounds a bit like the broken uid/gid swapping, but a fix for that
on Reliant Unix should be in 3.8p1.

Check config.h after running configure, BROKEN_SETREUID and
BROKEN_SETREGID should be defined.  If they're not, add #define's for
them and recompile and retest.

If that doesn't help, you will need to run the server in debug mode to
figure out what's going on.  Log in as root then run ssh on another port
(eg "/path/to/sshd -ddd -p 222"), connect as a normal user ("ssh -p 222
yourserver") then post the debug log here.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.