openssh3.8p1 passwd -f for uid's longer than 8 char problem

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Tue May 11 23:42:24 EST 2004

Walczak, Stanislaw wrote:
> Hi !
> Solaris 5.8 Generic_108528-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
> Putty 0.53b
> sshd version OpenSSH_3.8p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
>
> While using passwd -f for uid 10 char long, I'm not able to logon again to
> change password because uid is truncated to 8 char.

Solaris 8 does NOT support usernames longer than 8 chars in length.  It
may or may not work when you use longer usernames.  So it is possible
that you are hitting some OS limitation rather than a limitation in OpenSSH.

--
Darren J Moffat