Oddness with agent forwarding and -i

Thomas Baden lindysandiego at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 00:16:13 EST 2004

Hey everyone,

I hope this isn't an old issue; I wasn't able to
locate it in the archives.

I have a number of scripts which make use of ssh -i
and scp -i, where the target host has the specified
key in its authorized_keys file with a command=
override to do immediate processing of the received
data.  This works extremely well, as we are able to
establish single-function, triggered-action RSA keys
to toss data from host to host.

Unfortunately, when invoked with a forwarding agent
present, the agent gets to pass its key(s) before the
key presented on the command line, which causes all
the magic to break.  I've tried echoing the debug
output, and it confirms that the agent does indeed get
first crack at authenticating the connection.

Is this expected behaviour, or should the presence of
-i on the command line take precedence over the agent?

Cheers,
-Thomas