Van Dyke's Public Key Assistant

Randy Gordey gordey at stdio.com
Thu May 13 02:46:32 EST 2004

Jeff Van Dyke's "Public Key Assistant subsystem" was previously discussed
here: (end of a short thread)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=103436908422003&w=2

I do see a few comments that seem to point out his arrogance and some
disgust about OpenBSD's RCSID, but has anybody found it to be unsecure or if
it was bug ridden. The subject sorta dies right there. If you follow the
links on www.vandyke.com, they still seem to be maintaining the patch...

Even if it was never going to be part of the RFC and might be only mildly
popular is there a technical reason the OpenSSH project's source should not
include his patch? Does it hamstring security?

Anyone know if Van Dyke's license and/or copyrights would prevent a third
party SSH client, from utilizing this "feature"?

It looked find to me, but I have been known to do stupid things at times.
That usually happens right after I assume anything.

Regards,
R. Gordey