3.8p1 on Solaris 8

David R. Steiner david.r.steiner at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu May 13 04:58:34 EST 2004

Hello,

I am running into some strange (to me) behavior trying to upgrade
from 3.6.1p2 to 3.8p1 on Solaris 8.

All of my machines are running 3.6.1p2 (Linux boxes have had RH
errata applied). When I ssh with my AFS account name from any of them
to the Solaris 8 box running 3.6.1p2, it responds with
"afsuser at machine's password:". Once the password is given, I am
logged in just fine.

When I do the same thing with 3.8.1p2, instead of the password prompt
above, I get "AFS password:". I can authenticate fine but I do not
receive a token.

There is no difference in the pam.conf file for either of these instances.

Anyone offer any suggestions? Have I missed something obvious?

I know that AFS support was dropped in 3.7 (which is why all of my
machines are running 3.6) but since OpenSSH is not compiled with AFS
support on the Solaris boxes and relies on PAM, I am assuming this is
not the issue.

3.8.p1 was configured with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/ssh --without-zlib-version-check --with-pam
--with-prngd-socket=/var/run/opt/prngd-socket
--with-tcp-wrappers=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh
--with-pid-dir=/var/run --with-ipv4-default
--with-default-path=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin

The pam.conf file for other looks like this:

other     auth sufficient       pam_afs.so.1 try_first_pass set_token
ignore_root setenv_password_expires
other   auth requisite          pam_authtok_get.so.1
other   auth required           pam_dhkeys.so.1
other   auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1

TIA.

-David-
--
David R. Steiner                               david.r.steiner at dartmouth.edu
UNIX System Manager                            Phone:  603.646.3127