Problem with X tunneling, su, and xauth

Lets Go Canes letsgonhlcanes at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 05:51:58 EST 2004

Hi all.

I'm trying to use ssh to connect from a PC (using TerraTerm with the
ssh add-in) to a Solaris 8 or Solaris 9 box (both running OpenSSH
3.7.1p2) to establish a session for X-forwarding.  Everything works
great, until I use "su" to change to another account (such as root).
The su'd user doesn't seem to be able to authenticate properly to use
the X-tunnel.

I did a Google search, and found reference to 3 techniques for solving
the problem: 1) set the XAUTHORITY environment variable to point to the
.Xauthority file from the first account, 2) set the HOME environment
variable to point to the home directory of the first account, or 3)
extract the cookie using xauth from the first account and merge it into
the second account.  Neither 1 nor 2 seem to work, and when I try to
extract the key using method 3 (xauth list $DISPLAY), it comes up
empty.

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

=====