Van Dyke's Public Key Assistant

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Fri May 21 17:08:15 EST 2004

I'd been thinking for some time we need something better than my present
fuglier-than-thou solution, something along the lines of:

cat ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub | ssh user at host "cat >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2"

There are just so many things that can go wrong -- replacing > for >>,
some sites need it to be authorized_keys, etc.  If there's a mildly
standardized subsystem, I can't imagine what'd be bad about adding
support for it to OpenSSH.  We could even somewhat safely support an
escape command to automatically add "this identity" to the local
authorized key, inside a separate channel (ssh2 only).  We can do this
now with the above hack, but...not as elegantly as any of us might like.

--Dan