sftp Client for Windows XP

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri May 28 23:30:25 EST 2004

Saju Paul wrote:
> 1. Is it possible to even write a custom 'sftp' client for our application
> on the MS Windows platform ?  (my system uses Windows XP on a standard Intel
> based processor) on which I'll need to be able to build the OpenSSH
> libraries (libssh.a, libopenbsd-compat.a and any others) at a minimum.

It's possible to make sftp into a native Windows program but it's likely
to be an awful lot of work.  sftp needs ssh, and ssh makes a lot of
assumptions that's running on a Unix-like platform and libssh.a is not
intended for use by applications.

> 2. Does Windows support OpenSSH or vice versa ?

Yes, via Cygwin (out-of-the-box) or Services For Unix (third-party patches).

> 3. If OpenSSH cannot be used are they any commercial versions of SSH that I
> might be able to use ?

Try PuTTY or Peter Gutmann's cryptlib.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)