openssh & delay

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri May 28 23:39:58 EST 2004

Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
> Darren Tucker wrote:
>> Assuming you have PAM delay on failure, an
>> attacker can trivially determine the PermitEmptyPasswords setting, but
>> I think that's about it.
>
> Well, isn't this the same behaviour of current openssh 3.8?

Yes, and afaict it's unavoidable (since SSH2's "none" auth does double
duty as "let me in if you require no further authentication" and "tell
me the list of authentications required to continue", and PAM won't tell
  applications anything about what authentications it will require.)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.