RedHat forks OpenSSH?

Sten Drescher stend at sten.org
Tue Nov 9 12:51:39 EST 2004

Theo de Raadt wrote:

>>Apart from the potential legal issues (even if are just some litigious
>>bastards suing people for fun/profit instead of real ones) surrounding
>>said algorithms,
>>

>Precisely what legal issues would that be?

The DVD CCA's belief that there is "legal 'trade secret' protection for
CSS".  http://www.dvdcca.org/faq.html  While the OpenBSD project may not
be an attractive target for the DVD CCA, Red Hat's lawyers may believe
that they could be.  Even if the DVD CCA is wrong and you are right, it
could still be expensive, both in legal fees and in lost sales, for Red
Hat to argue the point in court.

>If you don't like what we write, you can run something else...

Or, it can be forked, which it appears Red Hat is doing, albeit in a
very impolite fashion.

Regards, Sten