RedHat forks OpenSSH?

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Nov 10 05:53:29 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:38:06 -0700, Theo de Raadt
> <deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:
> >

> > > The OpenSSH web site history page says:
> > >
> > >    Therefore, the version of OpenSSH was based on these older versions
> > >    of ssh 1.2.12, but with many bugs removed and newer features
> > >    re-added:
> > >
> > >      * has all components of a restrictive nature (i.e. patents,
> > >        see ssl) directly removed from the source code
> > >
> > > The CSS algorithm is claimed as a trade secret and there have been
> > > several court cases fought over it.  Is that not code "of a restrictive
> > > nature"?  Why is such code in OpenSSH?
> >
> > I claim that the colour red is a trade secret of me.
> >
> > Are you afraid?
>
> Do you know enough about Trade Secret law in the United States and
> Europe to really make such a claim? In most cases you could not
> consider the colour red a trade secret.. how you make a specific
> colour red specifically for your dye manufacturing would be.

Even at that.. You may *ONLY* sue the person that leaked the trade secret.
Anyone how figures it out on their own (either via reverse engineering or
mistake) are not bound to keep your secret.

People seem to forget this, and MPAA and others keep wanting to link
"Trade Secret" with "Patented Works".. which is confuses things even more.
=)

- Ben