RedHat forks OpenSSH?

listz at hate.cx listz at hate.cx
Fri Nov 12 04:32:48 EST 2004

However if Theo and other did cave at every prospect of some corporation
flexing their muscles then, as he pointed out before, ssh.com would have already
subjected the project and you couldn't type "ssh" at the command line for
OpenSSH.

However, I think that if someone decides they don't agree with Red Hat's
decision or want support from this mailing list they can compile the code
from ftp.openbsd.org themselves (consequently I compile for other reasons). Red
Hat never asked us (well me anyway) whether they should make the change, we
didn't have any input. Unfortunately I am stuck with Red Hat at work, lots of
commercial applications that I must use only support Red Hat Linux (used to
support BSD's but no longer, also only the RH distro).

While I know Red Hat does some QA on packages I remember a glibc patch recently
that crapped up any system running a custom (not stock RH) kernel. They're only
human, while trying to remove ACSS they could crap something else up
inadvertantly and it shouldn't be Theo, Damien or anyone else's job on this list
(unless there are RH engineers subscribed) to support them.

I'd love to move those systems back to a BSD like I have at home, I just don't
have that luxury. At the same time I hope even though circumstances dictate I
must use Red Hat I can still come to the list with questions should I need some
help.

on Thu Nov 11 12:05, Jefferson Ogata disclosed: