Linux/Solaris PAM incompatabilities

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Nov 20 14:50:25 EST 2004

Brian Parent wrote:
> I'm having trouble compiling openssh 3.9p1 on Linux.
>
> The problem appears to be the difference in the way the pam_get_item
> function is declared on Linux vs. Solaris.

Yes, the joy of standards is that there's so many different ones to
choose from.  Same goes for varying *implementations* of standards.

In this particular instance, OpenSSH complies with the PAM RFC[1] and
XSSO[2], and LinuxPAM doesn't.  This mismatch ought to result in only a
warning.  Remove -Werror (or your compiler's equivalent) as mentioned
up-thread.

[1] http://www.opengroup.org/tech/rfc/mirror-rfc/rfc86.0.txt
[2] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/008329799/toc.pdf

--