remote port forwarding timeout?

Torsten Foertsch torsten.foertsch at gmx.net
Fri Nov 26 19:54:11 EST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 05:32, Damien Miller wrote:
> > is it possible to establish a remote port forwarding with a timeout? I
> > want
> >
> > ssh -R 2000:x.y.z:80 --remote-forwarding-timeout 10 sleep 100
>
> I'd like to extend the new mulitplex command mode in CVS to allow
> cancellation of port-forwardings. Then you could do:
>
> ssh -NfR 2000:x.y.z:80 -S ~/.ssh/your-ctl yourhost sleep 100 &
> sleep 10 ; ssh -S ~/.ssh/your-ctl -O cancel-rforward 2000:x.y.z:80 &

I had already played with the control path options and wondered why forwarderd
connections could not be added or canceled this way. Will that included in
the next openssh release? Can I help to implement it (haven't looked yet at
the source)?

Is it right that in a connection made via control path the escape character
does not work?

console1:
ssh -MS ~/.ssh/ctl x at y.z

then console2:
ssh -S ~/.ssh/ctl x at y.z

then ~. in console1 will abort both connections as expected but ~. in console2
will be transfered literally. (OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004)

Torsten