What does this error mean and can I fix it.

Christopher L. Barnard cbar44 at tsg.cbot.com
Wed Oct 6 03:28:42 EST 2004

This is true with OpenSsh 3.8p1 and OpenSsh 3.9p1.  I am running on Sun
Solaris servers, both Solaris 8 and Solaris 9.

I send all ssh syslog messages to local3 via the sshd_config file.  I
periodically get in my error logs the line:

Oct  4 15:29:36 wintermute sshd[14517]: [ID 800047 local3.error] error:
Could not get shadow information for NOUSER

I do not think this is interfering with any user.  I would like to get rid
of these false positive errors, but I have not been able to track down
what this error is stating.  Can any of you provide assistance in
determining what this means.  Thank you.

Christopher L. Barnard                        Lead Systems Administrator
(312) 347-4901     Technology and Data Prod., The Chicago Board of Trade
cbarnard at tsg.cbot.com               http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/~cbarnard
    PGP public key available via MIT PGP keyserver or on my web page