PermitRoot without-password doesn't work if AllowUsers user1 user2 set, but root not included; Also some bug in auth.c (Me thinks)

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Oct 11 20:43:50 EST 2004

Hi list!

I have some machines running openssh 3.9p1.
AllowUsers is set to my users, that are allowed to login.
If I set PermitRoot without-password, but do not include root in AllowUsers,
root is not able to login with pubkey. I do not want to set root in
AllowUsers, since the without-password option should check this allready, I
think... So I made a small patch that allows me to login as root
without-password, without adding root to the AllowUsers list.

I also think, that auth.c has a bug regarding without-password, because it
strcmp's method with 'password', but this should be 'without-password', I
believe... For more information, have a look at the second junk of the
patch...

Maybe nobody needs this 'feature', but if anyone does... :-)

Best,
 Oliver

PS: Please do reply to my adress, since I'm not subscribed on this list!