daemon() failed

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 13 00:33:45 EST 2004

A friend of mine is having an issue running sshd as a daemon.  I don't
have full access to this box, so troubleshooting may be difficult, but
from what I can gather, the call to daemon() is failing.  sshd -D works
fine, but sshd -e returns "daemon() failed: Success" , which is in and
of itself funny.  This is Slackware 10.0, with openssh 3.8.1p1 and glibc
2.3.2.  I have several slack 10 boxes with this same combination that
work fine, so he must have done something funny, but I can't figure out
what.  I reinstalled both openssh and glibc to make sure they were all
there, and ran ldconfig.  It didn't fix the problem.  I'm kind of
stumped as to why the call to daemon() would fail.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel