disable password authentication per user

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 19 09:58:02 EST 2004

Brett Hamilton wrote:
> I would like disable password authentication in sshd for particular users,
> without locking their UNIX password, and without requiring all users to
> use PubkeyAuthentication. I cannot find a documented way to accomplish
> this in OpenSSH. Is it currently possible?

Not within OpenSSH itself.

I you're using PAM, however, you could arrange for PAM to do it by
having the sshd auth stack reject those users (sshd's public-key
authentication will still work).

For example, if you're using a LinuxPAM, putting this into the first
line of /etc/pam.d/sshd ought to do it (all one line, untested):

auth       required     pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user
sense=deny file=/etc/nopasswdusers

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.