Slow uploading with sftp

Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez roman at rs-labs.com
Wed Oct 27 20:44:14 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm observing a nasty and strange behaviour with OpenSSH
(SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.7.1p2) on Solaris 8 (Sparc). I searched the FAQ and
list archive and I didn't find anything about it.

The problem is that uploading through sftp is tremendously slow (~
0.2KB/s) while downloading is ok (~ 200-300 KB/s), so I'm quite surprised.
The machines I tested (client & server) are all in the same LAN segment,
so we can safely assume that no router / traffic shapper is intercepting
the SSH communication.

Is this problem known or at least could you point to some checks I could
do to diagnose and solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
-Roman

PS: Please, cc to me, since I'm not subscribed to the list.