OpenSSH and Smartcard

Boris von Alten Blaskowitz borisvab at gmx.de
Sun Apr 3 01:08:35 EST 2005

Hi Nils,

I know it comes from opensc. But as far as I know opensc is not
responssible. Because openssh should ask the user for the pin and set
the smartcard in the right condition. Is this correct?

I have I bad feeling with the ssh-agent. For example:
A intruder can send every kind of data(email text) during a user session
to the ssh-agent and this will be signed . If the user set not time
limit. (I am not validate this topic yet. So it is just an idea ...)
Another is,  that root kan switch to my account and has also access to
my ssh-keys on the smartcard.

I would prefer, not to use the ssh-agent. SSH or OpenSC, depending who
is responssible, should ask me directly for the PIN for every new
connection. I already made a hack and it works fine.  But I am not sure
about sideeffects. So what do you think??

Boris