Multiple log entries for successful pubkey authentication

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Apr 7 22:52:34 EST 2005

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr  7 21:49, Darren Tucker wrote:
>>I think that's because the auth_log is called twice: once in the monitor
>>and once in the slave.  If that's the case you should find one log entry
>>was done as the user logging in and the other as the privileged user
>>running sshd.
>
> Yeah, that's what happens.  In the above log entries you see that the
> logs come from different PIDs.  As I wrote in my previous mail, I'm
> still wondering if DISABLE_FD_PASSING is the cause.  But the result
> should be identical to a root login on other OSes, see the first few
> lines in sshd.c, function privsep_postauth().  However, a root login
> on Linux does not result in multiple log entries, so that's not the
> whole explanation...

It does in debug mode:

Accepted publickey for root from ::ffff:127.0.0.1 port 40694 ssh2
debug1: monitor_child_preauth: root has been authenticated by privileged
process
Accepted publickey for root from ::ffff:127.0.0.1 port 40694 ssh2

The one from the privsep slave won't get logged in normal operations,
since it's chrooted to /var/empty and has no /dev/log to talk to syslogd.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.