OpenSSH is not asking for passwords.

James Supancic arrummzen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:20:26 EST 2005

I am trying to use shfs to mount a remote root filesystem for a
diskless workstation. The system downloads its kernel and initrd from
a server. I have tried repeatedly to get a working installation of ssh
on the initrd with no success. I finally got ssh to connect to the
server.

Normally when I use ssh the session goes as follows
[arrummzen at localhost LFS-BOOK-6.0-HTML]$ ssh 192.168.11.10 -l root
root at 192.168.11.10's password:
Last login: Wed Apr 20 21:52:31 2005 from 192.168.11.254
[root at DT02 root]#

BUT when I try to use ssh on the diskless system It goes like this
bash-2.05b# ssh 192.168.11.10 -l root -F /etc/ssh_config
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
bash-2.05b#

Notice how it does not even bother to ask me for the password? I would
expect to be asked for a password, but it just connects and tells me
permission denied.

Now recall this is on a diskless system so I can't just copy and paste
output, but I will give you type those parts of the verbose output
that I feel are relvent.

debug1: Authentications that can contine: publickey, password,
keybord-interactive
debug1: Trying private key: /.ssh/identity
debug1: Trying private key: /.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Next authentication method: keybord-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method password
Permission denied, please try agine
debug1: Authentications that can contine: publickey, password,
keybord-interactive
debug1: No more authentiaction methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keybord-interactive)

If you want more of the verbose output I can type it up or if you want
a lot of it, I can setup a ftp server and upload all the output.

Thank you for your time,bash-2.05b# s
James Steven Supancic III