Hung ssh client connection

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Aug 3 12:55:20 EST 2005

Damien Mascord wrote:
> We have a netscreen 5gt-plus, running ScreenOS 5.0.2, which has an ssh
> daemon running.
[...]
> If I restart the firewall using the command 'reset', I get a message
> that the firewall is resetting, which is good.
[...]
> What could be the cause of this connection 'hanging' ? Is it on the SSH
> client, the SSH server not closing the connection correctly upon reset ?
>  Or could it be something in the TCP OS layer ?

When you "reset" your firewall, it flushes its state table, right?  If
so then would probably include the SSH TCP connection too.

One place this might show up is in "netstat" on the client: if there's a
constant value in the "Send-Q" column for the ssh connection to your
firewall then that's almost certainly what's happening.

> If it is expected behaviour, I apologize, though would like to
> understand why this is happening on a technical level.

If connections *to* the firewall (as opposed to *through* it) are
subject the the firewall rules and unless it has the capability to
re-learn established connections then it's the behaviour I would expect.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.