Porting to Dynix 4.1.3...

Richard Dickens Richard.Dickens at reuters.com
Thu Aug 11 23:54:46 EST 2005

Hello there,

I am trying to build OpenSSH on the above (very old) version of unix.

With a bit of hacking, I have managed to get everything to compile and
run. Scp works fine however when I log in via ssh I end up with a
session without a controlling terminal.

I have followed the code in pty_make_controlling_tty and it seems to go
as follows:

1. Starts with a controlling tty.

2. setsid works, no controlling tty.

3. open of tty works, however it doesn't become the controlling tty.

4. open of /dev/tty fails.

I don't have a huge experience of pseudo ttys or controlling ttys but it
looks to me like point 3 fails because there is already an open file
handle pointing to the same device.

As an aside, Dynix has a function called fvhangup (virtually hangup the
specified controlling terminal) but if I insert a call to this then all
slave terminals are hung up which seems to cause the master to close.

Can anyone offer any hints on how I can persuade my session to pick up a
controlling terminal?

Regards,
Richard Dickens

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit http://www.reuters.com/productinfo