OpenSSH sget/sput suggestion

CRX Driver crxssi at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 02:04:30 EST 2005

Not sure if this has ever been suggested before as a feature request, but I
am getting off my lazy a** and sending this Email to your list.  Hopefully
you will think it is a wonderful idea.

I am forever using the wonderful OpenSSH on many systems and have done so
for many years.  But I often find myself wanting to transfer files while
ssh'ed into another system.

If I could just have a way to transfer a file back to me with something like
"sget" or "sput" WHILE I am ssh'ed into another machine, THAT would save a
tremendous amount of time.  As it is now, you have to type long names and
paths and a password again each time with a separate scp session.

Imagine this:

ssh user at machine.com
cd /home/user
ls
rm junk
sget logfile

(and "logfile" just immediately gets scp'ed to my local machine)

I imagine "scp" or "sget" would somehow open a tunnel back to the client
side for file transfer.  Or, I suppose it could be triggered in the client
with a special keystroke while ssh'ed into a remote site.
|       Mark A. Davis   Norfolk, VA; EDT         (757)-461-5001x431 |
|   Director of Information Systems & Commun,    www.himss.org      |
|    Lake Taylor Transitional Care Hospital      www.laketaylor.org |
| Charter Member,  TideWater Unix User's Group   www.twuug.org      |
|  Pioneer Member, Electronic Frontier Found.    www.eff.org        |